Why use loop-based composition software in a music class?
Here are 10 reasons:
- Students don't need prior knowledge of music fundamentals (though this knowledge certainly helps)
- It is empowering when students are working on "real" music in their own way.
- It is empowering because students can work on projects for "real world" purposes. (ie..creating music for school functions, websites; podcasting)
- It is empowering because students can export their work as Mp3 files and share them on the web or put them on their i-pods where their name comes up as "the artist"
- Music class becomes inextricably linked with technology which means two budgets feed the program.
- All Music Standards can be taught in some way using loop-based composition
- Students love it.
- The software is fairly inexpensive given the possibilities
- Independent work allows for one-on-one interaction between teacher and student. Perfect for differentiating learning.
- Public Relations: When students talk up their experiences with loop-based composition, they spread the word that something exciting is happening in music at school (beyond the band and choral programs.)
More about Sony Acid. Using Sony Acid to teach Song Form